Cannes 2023: Sunny Leone wows fans at Kennedy audition in front of just 10 people
Mumbai actors have been gracing the red carpet at the 76th Cannes Film Festival, but there have been few offerings in the official selection. However, on Wednesday night, Indian actress Sunny Leone made a splash at the event with her appearance in Anurag Kashyap’s Kennedy, which premiered on Thursday as part of the festival’s Midnights Screenings section.
In an interview ahead of the screening, Leone said she felt “beyond excited” to be in Cannes: “I struggle to hold back tears every time I talk about it.” The actress went on to reveal her hopes that Kennedy will help change perceptions of her in the industry.
Here are some key points from Leone’s interview:
- Leone felt privileged to be at the Cannes Film Festival and is thrilled to attend the screening of her film at the prestigious event.
- The actress already has a couple of south films in post-production, including a psychological thriller and a gangster film.
- She hopes her role in Kennedy will change the way the industry perceives her as an actor.
- Leone revealed that she auditioned for the role of Charlie in the movie in front of just 10 people. The director already knew she was right for the part, but turned to the others to gauge their opinion.
- Leone admitted feeling pressure while working on Kennedy, but felt it was a chance to prove she could do justice to the expectations of a director of Kashyap’s calibre.
- Kashyap, known for his secretive ways, wouldn’t let Leone see the script. However, he did allow her to attend workshops and prepare for her role.
- Leone feels her character, Charlie, is a strong woman caught between two realities. She hides her true self behind her smile and laughter.
Leone’s appearance at the Cannes Film Festival has been one of the highlights of the event so far. With Kennedy set to screen at the festival, we can expect to see more of this talented Indian actress in future.